Now that it’s been 14 years since September 11th, 2001 (9/11 on the American calendar) you would think there be tremendous knowledge and archives regarding an event that has largely shaped the last decade of U.S. politics and the “global war on terror.” To think this would be wrong, and the gathering and processing of forensic evidence was lacking and, in some cases the actions of authorities even seemed to hinder any proper investigation.
Here are 11 verified 9/11 facts to remember what little we do know about that day.
1. $2.3 trillion was announced unaccounted for at the Pentagon by Donald Rumsfeld on September 10th, the day before the attacks. This number has since then increased to over $8.5 trillion.
2. WTC Building 7, a 47-story steel-framed skyscraper located one block from the Twin Towers, was not hit by any plane, but collapsed at 5:20 that evening.
3. Whenever contact is lost with any commercial airplane and then reported, fighter jets routinely take to the air to investigate. This commonly occurs about 100 times per year and takes place normally in well under an hour. But somehow, on 9/11, the planes were missing for nearly two hours without any interception and were only reported as hijacked as they hit the buildings.
4. The steel from the WTC buildings, which if fully examined could have revealed evidence regarding the collapses was quickly shipped overseas and melted down into ship parts. This was an unprecedented violation of federal crime scene laws.
5. Prior to 9/11, insiders such as John Ashcroft, top military officers, and San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown were warned not to fly.
6. At least 11 other nations and intelligence officials warned of an impending attack in 2000/2001 with regard to hijacking.
7. In September of 2000, a number of neocon hawks, many of whom would become key officials in the Bush administration, wrote that their proposed “revolutionary change” would proceed slowly “absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event — like a new Pearl Harbor.”
8. There was a group of “dancing Israelis” celebrating the planes crashing into the towers on the top of a white van. A woman referred to as Maria by ABCnews called the police, who managed to stop the men in question. The police got a weird answer when stopping the van, they were told by “Sivan Kurzberg” that “We are Israeli. We are not your problem. Your problems are our problems. The Palestinians are the problem.”
9. In the same area that the 3 Israelis were arrested in the Urban Moving van (New Jersey Turnpike near Washington Bridge), and taken for questioning, a truckload of explosives was also purportedly stopped on the George Washington Bridge. It is not directly clear if these events are linked, or even if there were explosives in the van, or if the van is the same one in both instances.
10. The Bush administration resisted the formation of the 9/11 Commission for 441 days. Similar investigations, such as those for Pearl Harbor, the JFK assassination, and the space shuttle disasters, all started in about one week.
11. During questioning by the 9/11 Commission in 2004, George Bush and Dick Cheney were allowed to testify together in private.