Over the past 15 years, the daily intake requirement of vegetables and fruits have doubled for you to get proper nutrients. Lack of essential nutrients may deteriorate your health.
To maintain your healthy body and boost your immune system, supplements are necessary to fill in the gaps in your diet. Although supplements are not to be taken as a whole substitute of a healthy and balanced diet, it is recommended to a few groups of people, such as people aged over 50, pregnant and breastfeeding women, children under 5, and vegans.
Supplements are useful when taken with a healthy balanced diet, although supplements alone are not a guarantee of optimum health.
Also, just because supplements are available on the market doesn’t mean they are entirely safe. Low prices don’t define effectiveness, so it is better to look for online sellers that are well-established for authenticity such as the Predator Nutrition.
To help you decide whether to take supplements or not, read on some of its pros and cons.
Advantages of Taking Supplements
There are a lot of reasons why you should take supplements, especially if you have a medical condition. Vitamins help improve your endurance, muscular strength, and physical performance. Other advantages of taking supplements are as follows:
1. Weight Loss
Losing weight does not mean starving yourself to death. There are a lot of dietary supplements that either boost your metabolism or satiate your hunger.
Staying fit or losing weight needs the right combination of food intake. Vitamins and nutrients help burn calories by signaling your brain into a fat-melting mode. Here is a list of vitamins and nutrients contained in dietary supplements for weight loss:
- Vitamin D – burns glucose into energy
- Polyphenols – antioxidants in green tea responsible for boosting metabolism
- Calcium – prevents fat from being absorbed into the bloodstream
- CLAs – conjugated linoleic acid; found in dairy products and is potent fat burners
- Protein – keeps your hunger in check
2. Slow Aging
Antiaging supplements help you get every nutrient you need to help you look and feel young. These supplements usually contain vitamins A, C, D, and E and omega-3 fatty acids.
Below are essential minerals that are said to also help you slow the aging process:
- Magnesium – helps combat stress and promotes healthy muscles, bones, and teeth
- Selenium – boosts antioxidant activity, thereby preventing lipid oxidation that tears down cell membranes
- Iodine – responsible for forming healthy hair, skin, and nails
- Zinc – maintains muscle repair and healthy eyesight
3. Memory Booster
Memory-boosting supplements are essential for students under constant stress, professionals in high-pressure jobs, and elderly whose memory is degenerating. Supplements that contain the following increase your memory and brain productivity:
- Citicoline – increases brain energy and reduces brain damage during injury
- Ginseng – ginseng supplements that have Cereboost is said to improve memory
- Mucuna pruriens – increases dopamine that can help you focus, be energized, and be happy
- Acetyl-L-carnitine – improves alertness, mood, and mental clarity
- Bacopa monnieri – increases the body’s flexibility to psychological and physical stress
Disadvantages of Using Supplements
Some supplements lack scientific proof that they help your body and mind become healthy. Also, the effect of supplements on some people may not apply to others. Here are other known disadvantages of taking supplements:
1. Side Effects
If you’re one of those who has been marketed with food supplements, you may have heard this several times: their products don’t have any side effects. For most people, this may be true, but for some, this may not be the case. So, it is better to read product reviews before buying and using supplements.
Here are some examples of supplements and their side effects:
- Calcium carbonate may cause constipation, gas, and bloating.
- Prolonged exposure to vitamin D may increase your risk of kidney stones.
- Some people who took vitamin B supplements reported feeling irritated, panicky, and restless.
- Excessive use of both vitamin E and fish oil causes bleeding due to their effects on platelets, which are components of the blood involved in blood clotting.
Supplements come at different prices, and most of them aren’t pocket-friendly. The question is, why are they expensive?
Patent and branding are not cheap. Brands shell out a lot of money to ensure the quality of the supplements they carry, especially if the supplements come from organic sources.
If you’re receiving minimum wage or living below the poverty line, these supplements are out of the topic.
Whatever your age or situation you are in, health is vital to have a fulfilling and happy life. Taking supplements became popular because investing to maintain a healthy lifestyle costs way cheaper than spending your hard-earned pay for medications and maintenance. Supplements can help you in achieving your health goals. However, they are not to be taken in excess and as your sole source of nutrition as they may give the opposite effect. Always consult your doctor and dietician first before taking any supplements.